Saturday, June 17, 2006

Tours - Index Page

Drooling in Dubrovnik
JULY 21 (Day 1 of tour): The 2.5 hour flight from Dubrovnik was painless enough, and as soon as I stepped off the plane, I knew the next week was going to be a tad warm - it was a steamy 30C at 10.30pm!

A date with 1000 pipers and haggis
Anyway, we partied hard into the wee hours of the morning and fronted up some time later at the food hall for a canteen-style breakfast. Black pudding was on offer, but the prospect of pig’s blood and guts for breakfast didn’t bode well after a night on the razzle. I settled for the far more comforting bacon and eggs.

Heading north...to Edinburgh
Early on in the year, I found that Contiki ran a 4-day tour up to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo, and as soon as I saw the tour advertised, I knew I wanted to do it. I don't know why I became obsessed with going to the Tattoo - I was never outrageously interested in anything military, nor bagpipe-ish - in fact, when we used to watch the Tattoo on the ABC at home as kids, I thought it was about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Norway’s Extraordinary Fjord Country
Take the E6 Highway out of Oslo, drive north for some 2,000 kilometres and you will eventually reach Nordkapp, Europe’s northernmost point. This long stretch of road is both a filming dream and nightmare. There is so much spectacular scenery you don’t know where to point and shoot next. Melanie Surplice reports on her recent visit to Norway – land of the fjords and one of nature’s most beautiful playgrounds.

No comments: